Canadian University Music Society
Call for Scores
for Performance in 2012
Instrumentation: any combination of flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano
Deadline: January 20, 2012
Duration: 5 to 8 minutes
The Canadian University Music Society is pleased to announce a call for scores to be performed at its next annual conference, May 31–June 3, 2012. The conference will be hosted by Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty of Music, and held in conjunction with the Congress of the Canadian Federation of the Humanities and Social Sciences (CFHSS). The scores chosen will be performed at a concert of contemporary music on the evening of Friday, June 1, 2012, in Maureen Forrester Hall, by faculty members of Wilfrid Laurier University. As many submissions as possible will be performed in this concert. Students who submit scores may be eligible for consideration in the CUMS Composition Competition (see separate call: 2012 Student Composition Competition: works for String Quartet).
Conditions for submitting scores:
1. Composers who had pieces performed at the 2011 CUMS conference may not submit scores for the 2012 conference.
2. Each composer may submit up to two scores.
3. Submission of a score to the competition denotes willingness and ability to attend the 2012 CUMS conference and to register for the conference.
4. Composers whose scores are selected for performance must register for both the 2012 Congress, and for the CUMS conference, and be members of CUMS by the conference start date. Annual dues for 2012 are $70 for regular members, and $35 for part-time faculty, students, independent scholars, and retired persons. Membership may be purchased, for the current calendar year, online at <http://www.cums-smuc.ca/en/membership/join-us> or by contacting CUMS, c/o Becker Associates, 10 Morrow Avenue, Suite 202, Toronto, ON, M6R 2J1; (416) 585-1650 (phone) or 489-1713 (fax).
5. Scores should not give any indication of the composer’s name or affiliation(s). A cover letter should accompany the score, indicating the composer’s name, institutional affiliation (if any), telephone number(s), postal and email address, the title of the work submitted, the instrumentation, and the duration of the work.
6. One copy of each score should be submitted.
7. Submissions must be postmarked by Friday, January 20, 2012.
Scores chosen for performance will be announced by Friday, February 17, 2012.
A composer whose work is selected for performance must submit, by Friday, March 23, 2012:
1. a set of parts;
2. a biography of no more than 100 words;
3. proofs of paid-up CUMS membership for 2012 and registration for the CFHSS Congress and the CUMS conference.
Send one copy of each score (hard copies only) to:
Dr. Peter Hatch
Faculty of Music
Wilfrid Laurier University
· Composers who wish their scores to be returned should include a postage-paid, self-addressed envelope.