CANADIAN UNIVERSITY MUSIC SOCIETY
Call for Scores for Performance in 2013
Instrumentation: Any combination of the following instruments: flute, saxophone, viola, cello,
keyboard instruments (piano and/or harpsichord), guitar, trumpet, trombone, double bass
Deadline: January 21, 2013
Duration: 5 to 8 minutes
The CANADIAN UNIVERSITY MUSIC SOCIETY is pleased to announce a call for scores to be performed at its next annual conference, June 6-9, 2013. The conference will be hosted by the University of Victoria School of Music, and held in conjunction with the CONGRESS OF THE CANADIAN FEDERATION OF THE HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES (CFHSS). The scores chosen will be performed at a concert of contemporary music in the Phillip T. Young Recital Hall, by faculty members of the University of Victoria. As many submissions as possible will be performed in this concert. Students who submit scores may be eligible for consideration in the CUMS Composition Competition (see separate call: 2013 STUDENT COMPOSITION COMPETITION).
Conditions for submitting scores:
- Submissions must be sent by email no later than 6:00 pm PST on January 21, 2013.
- Composers who had pieces performed at the 2012 CUMS conference may not submit scores for the 2013 conference.
- Each composer may submit up to two scores.
- Submission of a score to the competition denotes willingness and ability to attend the 2013 CUMS conference and to register for the conference.
- Composers whose scores are selected for performance must register for both the 2013 Congress, and for the CUMS conference, and be members of CUMS by the conference start date. Annual dues for 2013 are $70 for regular members, and $35 for part-time faculty, students, independent scholars, and retired persons. Membership may be purchased, for the current calendar year, online at <http://www.cums-smuc.ca/en/membership/join-us> or by contacting CUMS, c/o Becker Associates, 10 Morrow Avenue, Suite 202, Toronto, ON, M6R 2J1; (416) 585-1650 (phone) or 489-1713 (fax).
- Scores should not give any indication of the composer’s name or affiliation(s). A cover letter (per email) should accompany the score, indicating the composer’s name, institutional affiliation (if any), telephone number(s), postal and email address, the title of the work submitted, the instrumentation, and the duration of the work.
- Scores chosen for performance will be announced by February 18, 2013.
A composer whose work is selected for performance must submit, by March 25, 2013:
- a set of parts for the work chosen;
- a biography of no more than 100 words;
- proof of paid-up CUMS membership for 2013 and proof of CUMS 2013 conference registration.
To Apply/For more information: