CFP: Music and the Visionary
27-28 September 2019
University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, Canada)
This interdisciplinary conference seeks to explore relationships between music and the visionary beyond the notion of the innovative composer as a prophet figure. By examining how the visionary aspect of music relates to performance and social practice and how it is represented or theorized in works from music and other disciplines, this conference invites a broad range of approaches and musical traditions.
The questions that the conference will explore include:
- How is music, as a cultural and social practice, related to the visionary?
- How do music, ritual, and visions or prophecy interact?
- How do performers and composers (contemporary and historical) draw on ideas related to the visionary in their musical practice?
- How do music reception and criticism engage with the visionary?
- How is the relationship between music and the visionary represented or theorized in works from other disciplines, such as literature, religion, philosophy, or visual art?
The deadline for submissions is 24 May 2019. Responses to proposals will be sent before the end of June 2019.
For more information, please see the conference website: https://artsandscience.usask.ca/music/musicandthevisionary.php