Full-Time, Five Year Term
Mount Royal University
Mount Royal University’s (MRU) Conservatory has played a pivotal role in Calgary’s performing arts scene since 1911, enabling people of all ages and abilities to take part in the performing arts. No other performing arts organization has a comparable history or serves as large and diverse a community, from early childhood education through all stages of life. As an educational leader and innovator, it is the largest institution of its kind in Canada; the Conservatory is unique in the breadth and scope of its programming.
Our mission is to nurture the artistic potential in everyone, and to identify and train the great artists of tomorrow. We teach more than 4,000 students annually and welcome tens of thousands of others from our community to our festivals, concerts, and special events. In 2015 we proudly moved into our new home, the Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts, a $90.5M new performance and teaching space, featuring the Bella Concert Hall, as well as classrooms, studios, rehearsal rooms, offices, and an early childhood suite.
Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension (FoCEE), the MRU Conservatory Director provides strategic leadership of educational matters in the Conservatory, including the provision of artistic direction, establishment of short and long term goals, development of sound financial and business plans, realization of program and fiscal targets, supervision and evaluation of administrative and instructional staff, oversight of curriculum development and quality of instruction, stewardship of collaborative relationships with other MRU units, successful community outreach, and other duties consistent with the development and maintenance of the MRU Conservatory as a leader in music and performing arts education locally, nationally and internationally.
- Build on existing Conservatory strengths and provide inspiring and sustainable programming;
- maintain and expand the profile of the MRU Conservatory as an innovative and inspiring leader in arts education
- Position the Conservatory as a key player in the success of Mount Royal University;
- Lead the establishment and maintenance of relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Serve as a full member of the leadership team in the FoCEE and a productive participant in the MRU academic community;
- Generate revenue sufficient to pay the full costs of Conservatory operations;
- Collaborate with the Development Office to garner philanthropic donations in support of the operation of the Conservatory;
- Oversee the management of the Conservatory’s assets and facilities in conjunction with supportive FoCEE units: Financial & Business Operations and Event & Theatre Services;
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A completed doctoral degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Senior leadership skills and experience supervising world-class instructors and staff members;
- Proven experience in leading instructional and creative initiatives that require highly advanced discipline-specific knowledge and skills;
- Proven experience in strategic and financial planning and management;
- Proven experience leading an organization and fostering a healthy, productive and inclusive work environment;
- Proven experience in dealing with a variety of stakeholders in the broader community;
- Demonstrated service orientation, with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
CLOSING DATE: January 31, 2016
MOUNT ROYAL UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES