Assistant/Associate Professor in Musicology, University of Victoria
Deadline: December 12, 2016
Starting Date: July 1, 2017
The School of Music in the Faculty of Fine Arts at the University of Victoria invites applications for a tenure-track position in musicology at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor.
The School is home to approximately 250 undergraduate and graduate students, with specializations in musicology, performance, composition, music education, music technology, and a joint program in music and computer science. The University maintains an international research agenda, with excellent internal and external support. Located on Canada’s spectacular and temperate west coast, Victoria enjoys a vibrant cultural scene that includes a resident symphony orchestra and opera company, contemporary music ensembles, numerous choral groups, and festivals throughout the year.
The position will involve:
- teaching multiple eras of music history at the undergraduate level, with an emphasis on pre-20th-century music
- teaching a variety of courses, both at the undergraduate and graduate level, that utilize the instructor’s unique talents
- contributing to the recruiting, advising and mentoring of graduate students at the Master’s and PhD level
- contributing to the development of a progressive curriculum at the undergraduate and graduate level that anticipates the future needs of the University
For those applying at the Assistant level, completion of a PhD by 1st September 2017, as well as evidence of teaching experience, publication, and scholarly presentation are required. Those applying at the Associate level must be able to demonstrate excellence in teaching, and must have produced a body of published work that contributes significantly to the field of musicology. The successful candidate at either level will be an active scholar (performance experience desirable), eager to collaborate with colleagues in and outside of the School of Music in a variety of endeavours. We seek a dynamic person, with diverse research and teaching interests in the field of musicology.
Applications should include the following documents, sent to music-at-uvic.ca, by December 12, 2016:
- cover letter
- curriculum vitae (including all contact information)
- research and teaching statements of no more than 500 words each
- three confidential letters of reference (sent under separate cover)
Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide two recent examples of scholarly work, of publishable length and quality. Materials should be submitted electronically (pdf). Excerpts will not be considered.
Faculty and Librarians at the University of Victoria are governed by the provisions of the Collective Agreement. Members are represented by the University of Victoria Faculty Association (http://www.uvicfa.ca)
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.