PROFESSOR OF MUSIC TECHNOLOGY
Following the establishment of two new sound technology laboratories (Laboratory in Ear Training and Instrument Pedagogy, and Laboratory in Digital Research and Creation) and the new Certificate in Digital Audio Production, the Faculty of Music at Université Laval is seeking applicants for a position of professor of music technology.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION
The successful applicant is expected to:
- Teach theoretical and practical aspects of music technologies at the graduate and undergraduate levels (e.g. acoustics, digital recording, synthesis, etc.);
- In cooperation with other members of staff, supervise the integration of technologies in the various areas of activities in the Faculty (music education, musicology, creative activities, and performance);
- Conduct scientific and creative activities in the area of expertise;
- Act as advisor for master’s theses and doctoral dissertations;
- Contribute to the supervision of existing programs and to the development of new programs in the area;
- Participate in Faculty and University activities.
The successful applicant will possess:
- A doctorate in a relevant field of studies (or equivalent); ABD will be considered;
- Extensive knowledge of music technologies, including their methods, approaches and theories;
- Relevant experience in technology-based research and creative productions in music;
- Recognized professional experience in most of the following domains:
- Computer-assisted music/sound production;
- Music and sound production for multimedia environments (film, TV, Internet, etc.);
- Production, recording and live sound broadcasting;
- Music technologies in a teaching environment;
- Teaching experience in the field, preferably at University level;
- A broad knowledge of repertoires and openness to diverse musical styles (classical, jazz, pop, avant-garde, world music, etc.);
- The capacity for team work in the context of research and creative projects;
- The capacity to teach in French.
SALARY: according to the collective agreement of the Syndicat des professeurs et professeures de l’Université Laval.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Friday, August 20, 2010.
STARTING DATE: no later than January 1, 2011.
As an employer who values diversity within its personnel, Université Laval invites all qualified persons to submit an application, notably women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the norms of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration of Canada, this offer is addressed in priority to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit (hard copy, CD-ROM or as a PDF attachment) their application—including a letter of intent stating their teaching and research interests, a resumé, and three references—to:
Faculté de musique
1055, av. du Séminaire
Québec (Québec) Canada
Please do not send recordings unless so requested.