|Title:||Online Harmony, Subject Matter Expert (SME)|
|Reporting to:||Anna Boyden, Director Digital Learning|
|Apply by:||November 27, 2017|
The Royal Conservatory of Music
(Part-time contract position until completion of project)
The Royal Conservatory is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, teacher certification and arts-based social programs.
The mission of The Royal Conservatory (RCM), to develop human potential through leadership in music and the arts, is based on the conviction that the arts are humanity's greatest means to achieve personal growth and social cohesion. The curriculum for the study of music developed by The Conservatory has become Canada's national standard and its broad use has served to bind together the people of the nation with the thread of shared creative experiences.
The Conservatory has articulated a new vision for the digital engagement of young musicians. Our plan is to make the very best tools and resources in music training readily available in the kinds of digital formats that today’s youth and adults will find most engaging. Developing for a broad range of learners and programs, this role focuses on developing instructional content to guide learners through a digital version of the RCM’s theory curriculum, Harmony 9.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Learning, the Online Harmony SME’s key role is to author and deliver content to be used in the RCM’s online harmony course. The SME will work closely with the Instructional Designers to present musical concepts to young learners in a creative, engaging, and age-appropriate manner. A creative thinker and solution-finder, you understand and appreciate the opportunities and challenges associated with the study of harmony. Courses will be developed primarily for independent study with occasional opportunities for interactions with a mediator.
- Reviewing the objectives and examination questions provided in the Theory Syllabus, 2016 edition and areas where students will struggle with key elements.
- Collaborating with the Instructional Designer to develop appropriate pedagogical strategies to ensure areas of struggle are addressed.
- Authoring pedagogical content on assigned music theory (harmony) topics as outlined in the Theory Syllabus, 2016 edition and as required in our online course
- Identifying and creating (using Finale) appropriate musical examples to illustrate theoretical examples.
- Creating activities and questions to accompany and verify student understanding of the concepts presented.
- Reviewing the course/course content throughout development to ensure that the course content is robust enough to enable exam success.
- Creating and notating relevant examples and activities in Finale.
- Be available to meet in person with team members throughout the duration of the
- Be available by phone or email to respond to questions (within twenty-four hours of
- Meet all project milestones and due dates as established by Digital Learning.
Required Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree in music, or equivalent experience, and deep knowledge of:
- Harmony and Counterpoint
- Music teaching experience:
- Knowledge of the areas students struggle with in RCM Harmony andCounterpoint (Levels 9 and up)
- Be able to prioritize information thereby enabling student success
- Experience writing pedagogical materials. Able to take complex concepts and explain them in a manner that is easy to understanding, using examples and exercises as appropriate.
- Expertise with Finale music notation software:
- Working with a preexisting template
- Importing and Exporting .musx files
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a thorough understanding of grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Must be detail-oriented, with a focus on accuracy and consistency at all times.
- Team player with good communication skills. Able to work collaboratively to achieve common goals.
- Ability to follow project plans and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
Recommended Skills and Experience
- Experience writing for online audiences
- Experience teaching or learning online
For additional details and to apply, please visit https://www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory